The 2nd COVID-19 Emergency Grant (Contemporary Art)
This grant is awarded to individuals and groups whose activities and projects in contemporary art were interrupted by COVID-19, and who require support to continue those activities.
Applications for the 2nd COVID-19 Emergency Grant (Contemporary Art) are no longer being accepted.
The environment for arts and culture has changed drastically due to COVID-19.
While people have been adjusting themselves to the "new normal," the world of contemporary art has also found it necessary to significantly change its approach with such measures as the implementation of online virtual exhibitions and exhibitions open to the public with strict guidelines in place for infection control. In addition, conditions remain unstable due to the need for sudden postponements or cancellation of exhibitions because of COVID-19.
Considering the value and importance of arts and culture in society, the Foundation is continuing its initiative for a second year with the 2nd COVID-19 Emergency Grant to support individuals pursuing art and culture who are suffering various issues related to COVID-19.
Purpose and Eligibility
For individuals whose activities and projects in contemporary art have been affected by COVID-19, the Foundation provides this grant to contribute to an environment supportive of their creative activities.
- ・Activities in contemporary art
- ・Individuals or small organizations that have been affected by COVID-19 (any legal status of the organization is acceptable)
- *Each organization or individual can apply for one grant only.
- *Individuals receiving full-time employment income are not eligible for this grant.
- *Individuals who have received the FY2020 grant can also apply for the FY2021 grant as long as they have already submitted their FY2020 report.
Total Amount Awarded
50 million yen (plan)
Size of the Grant
0.5 million yen / grant
Use of the Awarded Grant
The Foundation does not impose restrictions on the use of the awarded grant as long as the recipient uses it to overcome difficulties caused by COVID-19 and to continue their artistic activities.
Schedule from Application to Issuance of the Grant
- 1) Application Period: Thursday, April 15 – Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 23:59 (*Applications must arrive no later than 23:59 on May 12.)
- 2) Completion of selection: Scheduled for late July
- 3) Issuance of grant: Scheduled for August
- *The Foundation will issue the grant as soon as the required grant agreement between the individual successful applicant and the Foundation has been entered into.
How to Apply
Please submit applications via the electronic application system.
- 1) Click the link below to access the electronic application system.
- 2) Please click the link and read "Flow of the Application for the Grant" for more details.
- 1) Application Information: Follow the format and provide the required information.
- 2) Download the application forms (excel) and upload the following information.
- 1. History of Activities (CV)
- 2. Portfolio (Images that show your activities)
- 3. Impact of COVID-19
- 4. Budget Statements
- 5. Activities, future plans and ideas that this grant will facilitate
- 3) Supplementary Documents: Upload in PDF format.
- 1. Documents that show the impact of COVID19 on your activities
e.g. Events and plans that were postponed or cancelled due to COVID-19
- ◆If you have already created the following documents, please upload them.
- 2. History of Activities (CV)
- 3. Portfolio
Deadline: 23:59 on Wednesday, May 12, 2021
- *The application cannot be accepted by postal service or in person.
- *Please bear the costs required for submission of the applications.
- *Submitted documents will not be returned.
- 1) Selection Method
Selection will be made by the Selection Committee, consisting of individuals in various fields of Arts and Culture at the Foundation with outside experts being engaged as needed.
- 2) Selection Criteria
- 1. Impact of COVID-19 on individual activities
- 2. Past Activities
- 3. Feasibility of planned activities, and planning budget for revenue and expenditure
- 4. Contribution to the development of the contemporary art ecosystem
- 3) Results of the Selection
Each applicant will be notified of the result of their application.
- *No inquiries regarding selection criteria or selection decisions will be accepted.
Submission of Report
- 1) Content of the Report
- ・What individual applicants achieved with the grant, results made possible by the grant, and future outlook (activity report)
- ・Use of the Grant (Financial Statement)
- 2) Submission: Submit the documents above via the electronic application system.
- 3) Deadline: Within three months of making use of the grant or March 31, 2022 (within FY2021), whichever is sooner.
- *Content of the activity report will be used for publications and future PR activities by the Foundation.
Please check and make sure you understand the Application Guidelines before submitting your application. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via e-mail.
Toshiaki Ogasawara Memorial Foundation
Address: Nifco Inc., Mita Bellju Building 20F, 5-36-7 Shiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-8522 Japan
All personal information obtained by the Foundation will only be used within the scope necessary to review, process and finalize the grant.
The Foundation shall not provide personal information to a third party without obtaining the consent of the relevant individual.