This grant is awarded to innovative entrepreneurs whose work shows the potential for the development of growth strategies for the future of Japan.
In September 1986, the Toshiaki Ogasawara Memorial Foundation (formerly titled the Ogasawara Foundation for the Promotion of Science and Engineering until June 2020) was established to contribute to the growth of Japanese industries through its grant activities for the sound development of science and technology.
The Foundation started IncuVenture Grant in 2015 to support innovating entrepreneurs.
We are looking forward to receiving applications from individuals attempting to develop projects related to new products and technology with originality and high public interest that will lead to the expansion of the growth industries of Japan.
- *IncuVenture is a coined term combining incubation and venture.
Applications for the 2022 IncuVenture Grant are no longer being accepted.
Area of Focus
- (1) The area of focus is excellent new products and technologies (excluding pharmaceuticals) with high public utility that are recognized as contributing to the sound development of the social economy and the improvement of people's lives.
- (2) This year, the following development projects are welcomed as themes of interest. Applications in other areas are of course also welcome.
- (1) Development projects for highly novel products and technologies in primary industries
- (2) Development projects for highly novel products and technologies related to the shift to carbon neutrality
- (3) Development projects for highly novel products and technologies related to ensuring safety and early recovery from major natural disasters
- (4) Development projects for highly novel products and technologies related to the preservation of social infrastructure
- (5) Development projects for highy novel products and technologies related to home care, nursing equipment or wearable devices necessitated by the aging of the population
- (6) Development projects for highly novel products or technologies related to AR, VR or AI
- (1) Individuals or group
Individuals or groups aiming to start a business within 3 years, who have a concrete plan and strong will to commercialize excellent new products and technologies by themselves
- (2) Ventures
Venture companies within 5 years of establishment at the time of application who, based on their own excellent new products and technologies, can achieve commercialization or a level where commercialization is possible within 3 years in principle (and within a maximum of 5 years)
- (3) Individuals / groups, venture companies, etc. who have Japanese nationality and fall under 1) or 2) above
Size of the Grant and Number of Awards
It is planned that 120 million yen will be distributed in total. The awards are intended to be distributed as follows:
1. Four awards of up to 20 million yen
2. Four to eight awards of 5 million yen or up to 10 million yen
Usage of the Grant
Awarded funds will go towards costs directly related to the research project for which the application was made. The grant cannot be used for the following:
- (1) The cost of labour for the applicant and his/her collaborators
- (2) Indirect costs and general administrative costs borne by the organization that the applicant belongs to (overhead costs)
Thursday, April 28 - Thursday, June 30, 2022 *Applications must be received no later than June 30.
How to Apply
- 1) Application Forms
- (1) Provide the required information on the Application Forms, and submit them with any supplementary documents to be included by postal service.
- (2) Application forms can be downloaded below.
- (3) Number of copies of Application Forms to be submitted
Send both paper-based forms and data (CD-ROM, etc.) together.
- 1. Paper-based Forms
1 original and 10 copies
Staple each set of documents at the top left corner.
- 2. Data (CD-ROM, etc.)
Record the relevant data in both PDF and Word versions in the CD-ROM, etc.
- 2) Supplementary Documents
- (1) In the case that the applicant has already established a company
- 1. Company profile
- 2. Certified copy of register (within three months of issuance)
- 3. Business report and financial settlement for the previous term
- (2) In the case that the applicant belongs to a university
A letter of recommendation from the head of his/her institution
- (3) Samples, videos, photos, catalogs, etc.
- (4) Major publications
(e.g. Publications, media announcements, etc.)
- (5) Materials related to patents and other intellectual property rights
- 1. Patent gazette (Publication of the patent application if not yet registered), etc.
- 2. Report on results of the survey on the infringement of intellectual property rights
- (6) A standard-size envelope for reply for announcement of the results from the Foundation
(Write the name and address clearly, and affix a stamp.)
- (1) Please refrain from bringing the Application Forms to the Foundation in person.
- (2) Application documents and supplementary documents submitted will not be returned.
- 1) Selection Schedule (May be shortened depending on conditions.)
- (1) Document screening (Early October)
- (2) Final selection (Late November - early December)
Applicants who have successfully passed the document screening will advance to the presentation phase of the selection process. (Applicants who have passed the document screening will be notified.)
- 2) Results and notification (Late December - early January of the following year)
The final selection will be made by the Foundation's Selection Committee, and results will be notified in writing. No correspondence will be entered into regarding the decision.
We focus on the following points for the selection.
- 1) Contribution to society (public interest)
- 2) Originality
- 3) Feasibility
- 4) Future potential
We prioritize high public interest.
Use of the Awarded Grant
The Foundation does not limit the use of the awarded grant as long as the successful applicant uses it to effectively promote his/her research and achieves results.
There are no annual limitations or limitations for the research period.
Timing of Grant Issue
Grant issue is planned for late January, 2023.
The Foundation will issue the grant as soon as the required grant agreement has been entered into.
- 1) All recipients of the IncuVenture Grant awarded by the Foundation are required to submit the IncuVenture Research Report (including interim report) in the predetermined period. Recipients may report orally if necessary. Details, including the period, will be announced to recipients of the grant.
- 2) When publishing work related to the project for which the grant is awarded, recipients must clearly note that the Foundation has provided grant for the project. Recipients must submit a copy of the published work to the Foundation.
- 3) Recipients must submit the Detailed Statement of Use of the Grant after receiving the grant.
- 4) All recipients are asked to submit the IncuVenture Grant Activity Report by the end of September each year for three years after receiving the grant. (Download the form from the website.)
- 1) We may ask applicants to submit additional documents if necessary to clarify the content of the individual applications.
- 2) Please see the FAQ regarding IncuVenture Grant.
Address for Submission of Application Documents
Before submission of the application documents to the below address, ensure that all required content described in the Application Guidelines are included. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at the Administrative Office.
Toshiaki Ogasawara Memorial Foundation
Address: Nifco Inc., Mita Bellju Building 20F, 5-36-7 Shiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-8522 Japan
Attention: Mr. Yonemura
TEL: 03-5476-2174 (domestic) / +81-3-5476-2174 (from oversea)
All personal information obtained by the Foundation will only be used within the scope necessary to review, process and finalize the grant.
The Foundation shall not provide personal information to a third party without obtaining the consent of the relevant individual.
Please feel free to contact us for more details about grants via e-mail or by phone.
Toshiaki Ogasawara Memorial Foundation Administrative Office
Nifco Inc., Mita Bellju Building 20F, 5-36-7 Shiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-8522 Japan