This grant is awarded to innovative entrepreneurs whose work shows the potential for the development of growth strategies for the future of Japan.
In September 1986, the Toshiaki Ogasawara Memorial Foundation (formerly titled the Ogasawara Foundation for the Promotion of Science and Engineering until June 2020) was established to contribute to the growth of Japanese industries through its grant activities for the sound development of science and technology.
The Foundation started IncuVenture Grant in 2015 to support innovating entrepreneurs.
We are looking forward to receiving applications from individuals attempting to develop projects related to new products and technology with originality and high public interest that will lead to the expansion of the growth industries of Japan.
- *IncuVenture is a coined term combining incubation and venture.
Applications for the 2021 IncuVenture Grant are no longer being accepted.
Area of Focus
- (1) Outstanding new products and technology (excluding computer programs themselves, and those regarding biotechnology, medical and pharmaceutical fields) with high public interest that would contribute to the sound development of the socioeconomy and improvement of people lives
- (2) Outstanding new products and technology that, in principle, can be commercialized within three years
- (1) Incubation Grant
Individuals who have specific plans to commercialize outstanding new products and technology, and have a strong desire to start the business within three years.
- (2) Venture Grant
Individuals who have been operating a business based on outstanding new products and technology for five years or less.
- (3) Individuals with Japanese nationality
Size of the Grant
100 million yen in total (up to 20 million yen / grant)
Use of the Grant
This grant should be used to pursue target project directly. However, grants cannot be used to compensate for the costs described below:
- (1) The cost of labor for the applicant and his/her partners
- (2) The purchase of devices that can be used for general purposes (e.g. computers including OS and software, multi-function printers, digital cameras)
- (3) Indirect costs and general administrative costs borne by the organization that the applicant belongs to (overhead costs)
Wednesday, April 28 – Wednesday, June 30, 2021 *Application must arrive no later than the 30th.
How to Apply
- 1) Application Forms
- (1) Provide the required information on the Application Forms, and submit them with any supplementary documents to be included by postal service.
- (2) Application forms can be downloaded below.
- (3) Number of copies of Application Forms to be submitted
Send both paper-based forms and data (CD-ROM, etc.) together.
- 1. Paper-based Forms
1 original and 10 copies
Staple each set of documents at the top left corner.
- 2. Data (CD-ROM, etc.)
Record the relevant data in both PDF and Word versions in the CD-ROM, etc.
- 2) Supplementary Documents
- (1) In the case that the applicant has already established a company
- 1. Company profile
- 2. Certified copy of register (within three months of issuance)
- 3. Business report and financial settlement for the previous term
- (2) In the case that the applicant belongs to a university
A letter of recommendation from the head of his/her institution
- (3) Samples, videos, photos, catalogs, etc.
- (4) Major publications
(e.g. Publications, media announcements, etc.)
- (5) Materials related to patents and other intellectual property rights
- 1. Patent gazette (Publication of the patent application if not yet registered), etc.
- 2. Report on results of the survey on the infringement of intellectual property rights
- (6) A standard-size envelope for reply for announcement of the results from the Foundation
(Write the name and address clearly, and affix a stamp.)
- (1) Please refrain from bringing the Application Forms to the Foundation in person.
- (2) Application documents and supplementary documents submitted will not be returned.
- 1) Selection Schedule (May be shortened depending on conditions.)
- (1) Document screening (Early October)
- (2) Final selection (Early November)
Applicants who have successfully passed the document screening will advance to the presentation phase of the selection process (Applicants who have passed the document screening will be notified.)
- 2) Results and notification (In December)
The final selection will be made by the Foundation's Selection Committee, and results will be announced to individual applicants. We do not provide an explanation for our decision regarding selection.
We focus on the following points for the selection.
- 1) Contribution to society (public interest)
- 2) Originality
- 3) Feasibility
- 4) Future potential
We prioritize high public interest.
Use of the Awarded Grant
The Foundation does not limit the use of the awarded grant as long as the successful applicant uses it to effectively promote his/her research and achieves results.
There are no annual limitations or limitations for the research period.
Timing of Grant Issue
In January 2022 (Plan)
The Foundation will issue the grant as soon as the required grant agreement between individual successful applicant and the Foundation has been entered into.
- 1) All recipients of the IncuVenture Grant awarded by the Foundation are required to submit the IncuVenture Research Report (including interim report) in the predetermined period. Recipients may report orally if necessary. Details, including the period, will be announced to recipients of the grant.
- 2) When publishing work related to the project for which the grant is awarded, recipients must clearly note that the Foundation has provided grant for the project. Recipients must submit a copy of the published work to the Foundation.
- 3) Recipients must submit the Detailed Statement of Use of the Grant after receiving the grant.
- 4) All recipients are asked to submit the IncuVenture Grant Activity Report by the end of September each year for three years after receiving the grant. (Download the form from the website.)
- 1) We may ask applicants to submit additional documents if necessary to clarify the content of the individual applications.
- 2) Please see the FAQ regarding IncuVenture Grant.
Address for Submission of Application Documents
Before submission of the application documents to the below address, ensure that all required content described in the Application Guidelines are included. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at the Administrative Office.
Toshiaki Ogasawara Memorial Foundation
Address: Nifco Inc., Mita Bellju Building 20F, 5-36-7 Shiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-8522 Japan
Attention: Mr. Yonemura
TEL: 03-5476-2174 (domestic) / +81-3-5476-2174 (from oversea)
All personal information obtained by the Foundation will only be used within the scope necessary to review, process and finalize the grant.
The Foundation shall not provide personal information to a third party without obtaining the consent of the relevant individual.
Please feel free to contact us for more details about grants via e-mail or by phone.
Toshiaki Ogasawara Memorial Foundation Administrative Office
Nifco Inc., Mita Bellju Building 20F, 5-36-7 Shiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-8522 Japan