This grant is awarded to individuals engaged in research in the field of Japanese contemporary art.
Although Japanese contemporary art has begun to attract attention around the world, there is scope for more research to be made into it. Related research may now include the history of contemporary art; the preservation, restoration, and archiving of contemporary art works; and art management. At the same time, there is a growing number of artists who conduct research into local communities and residents as part of their practice and in response to artist-in-residence projects or local art festivals in rural areas. Accordingly, this grant program will support not only conventional scholarly research, but also research conducted by artists as part of their artistic practices.
The purpose is to support those conducting research in the field of Japanese contemporary art, and thereby promote its development and dissemination.
- 1) Research about Japanese contemporary art
(The history of contemporary art; its preservation, restoration or archiving; education through contemporary art; exhibition technologies; art management; environmental activities by artists, etc.)
- 2) Research conducted by artists as part of their artistic practice
(Research about local histories or lifestyles, interviews with experts and residents, etc.)
- 1) Individuals or groups conducting research in the field of contemporary art
Individuals engaged in the creation of contemporary art
- * Researchers, museum curators, freelance curators, archivists, art managers, artists, installers, etc.
- * Applicants who have been awarded other grants by this Foundation this financial year are not eligible.
- * We ask that you refrain from accepting grants for the same activity from other organizations.
Size of the Grant
Each successful applicant is expected to be awarded between 300,000 and 3 million yen, with 30 million yen planned to be distributed in total.
Use of the Awarded Grant
- 1) Expenses necessary for the achievement of the research objectives.
- 2) Indirect, general or administrative expenses related to the day-to-day operation of the organization to which the applicant belongs cannot be covered by the grant.
Uses not permitted
Operating costs for the organization, costs of equipment or materials not related to the research for which the application was made.
Schedule from Application to Payment of the Grant
- 1) Application Period: Wednesday, September 8 – Midday, Tuesday, October 5, 2021 (*Applications must arrive no later than 12 p.m. midday on October 5.)
- 2) Completion of selection: Scheduled for late November
- 3) Payment of grant: Scheduled for mid-December
- * The Foundation will issue the grant as soon as the required grant agreement between the successful applicant and the Foundation has been entered into.
- * The grant may be paid in installments depending on the content and duration of the research.
How to Apply
Please submit applications via the online application system.
- 1) Click the link below to access the online application system.
- 2) Please click the link and read "Flow of the Application for the Grant" for more details.
- 1) Application Information: Follow the instructions and provide the required information.
- 2) Application forms: Please download the form in Word format, input as necessary and then upload in PDF format.
Optional: Artists with the following materials should also upload them in PDF format.
- ① History of Activities (CV) - Up to two A4 pages
- ②Portfolio - Up to 10 A4 pages (Please include an explanation of the artwork concept.)
- ③Artist Statement, if available - Up to one A4 page.
Deadline: 12 p.m. Midday on Tuesday, October 5, 2021
- * Applications cannot be accepted by post or in person.
- * The applicant must bear the costs required for submission of the application.
- * Submitted documents will not be returned.
- * Completing the online application may take some time. Please commence the process with plenty of time to spare.
- 1) Selection Method
Selection will be made by the Selection Committee, comprising the Foundation's Arts and Culture Selection Committee Members and outside experts engaged as necessary.
- 2) Results of the Selection
Each applicant will be notified of the result of their application by email and on their My Page.
<Note> No correspondence will be entered into regarding the selection criteria or results. Applicants' understanding is appreciated.
Submission of Report
Content to be reported
- ・Activity Report explaining what applicants achieved with the grant, results made possible by the grant, and the future outlook of their activities.
- ・Detailed Statement of Uses of the Grant
- ・Any research papers, reports, questionnaire results, online publications, photographs, etc., resulting from the grant.
- 2) Submission method: Please submit the report using the online application system. Materials, etc. can also be mailed.
- 3) Deadline for submission: Within three months of making use of the grant or March 31, 2023, whichever is sooner.
- * If you are unable to complete by the deadline, please submit an interim report.
Please check to make sure you have understood the Application Guidelines before submitting your application.
Please feel free to contact the Administrative Office for more details about grants via e-mail.
Toshiaki Ogasawara Memorial Foundation Administrative Office
Nifco Inc., Mita Bellju Building 20F, 5-36-7 Shiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-8522 Japan